If you want succeed as a marketing professional today, there are a new set of skill sets that you need to learn and practice. Ad Age has a fantastic article on this. While it is focussed on the CMOs, it is relevant to every marketing professional at any level .Here's the topline:
Here are the top five things you need to do now:
- Immerse yourself in direct marketing, CRM and database/analytics, so you can manage your personal transition from a mass marketer to a one-to-one marketer.
- Immerse yourself in the internet and understand best practices in website design, e-mail marketing and e-commerce (online sales and lead generation), both within your industry sector and in other sectors.
- Learn everything about new media, including search-engine marketing and optimization tools, because these are becoming drivers of future integrated-marketing and media efforts.
- Do a deep dive in mobile marketing -- the iPhone and other mobile devices are the future communication hubs for receiving just-in-time communications and incentives -- at the point of sale. The mobile phone is also rapidly becoming a payment system where funds can be automatically transferred at the point of sale.
- Hire people at the VP levels and below with different skill sets -- for example, more engineers with Ph.D.s -- people who understand the numbers, who focus on ROI. In other words, surround yourself with VPs who have the relevant skills in database/analytics, online marketing/new media or e-commerce that you may be lacking. Then learn from them.
Remember, the future is now.